Thursday, March 3, 2016

Home Sewing Tips from the 1920s - A Frock Trimmed with Self-Fabric Plaits

While this tip from Ruth Wyeth Spears and the 1920s describes a plaited (pleated) trimming for a "young girl's frock", I think this excellent tip would also apply to a frock for any age!

In her usual marvelous style, Ruth guides her home sewists with clear illustrations and precise steps. And note her tip for the novel feature of flipping the hem to the outside and trimming it in place with the plaiting (pleating). So clever and so simple - I love it!


Ruth recommends a crisp fabric as most effective, and says the sketch is of "changeable pink taffeta". I can picture this frock in pink taffeta - can you?

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I was wondering if you could post a scan of the front cover and publication page of your 1920s Ruth Wyeth Spears book...please? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To explain: I plan on using one or two of your patterns to make an ensemble for a historically documented masquerade entry. If I present the front cover and publication page of book the patterns I don't have to worry about them throwing my documentation out the window. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Artemisia! I can do that, certainly. When do you need it by? And can I ask in return that you provide some pictures of the items after you have sewn them? I would love to see them!

      Delete