Friday, April 10, 2015

Home Sewing Tips from the 1920s - a Smart Box-Pleated Skirt

Well, a bit of life got in the way of my regular posts, so sorry for going silent for a couple of weeks! Let me resume with a tip from our favorite 1920s sewist and fashion advisor, Ruth Wyeth Spears. :)

Delivering "preppy" style, this tip from Ruth Wyeth Spears and the 1920s describes how to create a box-pleated skirt that is attached to a camisole. The skirt is intended to be worn with an overblouse and a sweater. Note the rule of three times your hip measurement for determining the width of the fabric for the skirt. I love the tip of hemming the skirt before pleating, and then adjusting the length where the skirt joins the camisole (rather than in the hemline). I just love Ruth's tips. Enjoy! Oh! And refer to my post on sewing a 1920s tunic dress foundation garment for a better understanding of the garment construction in this tip.



No comments:

Post a Comment