Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Miss Lillian's Postcards: Vintage Tweet from Ada, June 5, 1908

Postcard 029

Sender:  Ada J. Matz
Addressee: Miss Lillian Maguire, 1902 G" Terry Ave, Seattle, Wash.
Postmark: St. Louis, MO
Date: June 5, 1908
Image: Jefferson Barracks, St Louis, MO



The Jefferson Barracks still exist, and the entire area is now managed by the Jefferson Barracks Heritage Foundation, complete with museums, historic buildings, and so on. Another worthy place to visit if ever I am in St. Louis!


Message: 
Dear Lillian: - 
Many thanks for 
the beautiful card and
handsome souvenir. Words
fail to express my surprise
and great delight when
the parcel came to hand.
We have rain almost
every day and today it
is scorching hot. Am glad
to learn that you like it
so well in Washington.
With sincere good wishes, 
I remain,
Ada J. Matz


I wonder what the "handsome souvenir" is that Lillian sent to Ada. This post card is such a gracious thank you and greeting. Ada reports that the weather has been days of rain and now scorching hot in St. Louis. I suspect that is not the weather that Lillian has been experiencing in Seattle! ;)

An Afternoon Dress - 1907


2 comments:

  1. St. Louis summers are awfully hot and humid. I know that summer dresses back then were made of wicking light material, and that convection helps cool things down in long skirts, but I still cringe when I think of the outfits people wore back then here. St. Louis is like a sauna in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would explain why Lillian had to leave St. Louis for her health. Heat and humidity would do me in! What are the winters like?

      Delete